Lobsang Wangyal is a social justice warrior, using his writing, photojournalism, and events productions to do his work. He is based in McLeod Ganj, India, with worldwide reach thanks to the Web. He has appeared in books, films, magazine articles, and other media. This page will be a comprehensive list of his works.
Bio: Born in India in 1970 to Tibetan refugee parents. BA in English from Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla. Has lived in McLeod Ganj since 1994. Has been a stringer reporter and photographer for Agence France-Presse for many years. Through his eponymous company, Lobsang Wangyal Productions, he has been producing Tibetan cultural events since 2000, the best-known of which has been the yearly Miss Tibet Pageant. Others are the Miss Himayala Pageant and the Free Spirit Film Festival. He also has maintained a popular news website, Tibet Sun since 2008.
- Filing and winning a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) to push the Indian government to enforce the Citizenship Act and enable exile Tibetans to obtain passport [2016 to present]
- Filing further litigation, letters, phone calls, to push enforcement of the Court’s directives as a result of that case, and of the details of the passport process. [2017 to present]
- 2016 exile Tibetan election results – preliminary and final, as returns came in, and final results, at TibetSun.com  Will be doing this again in the next elections in 2021.
- Counseling exile Tibetans in India and helping them through the process for obtaining Indian passport [2016 to present]
- Counseling exile Tibetans worldwide and helping them through the process for obtaining Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) status. [2018 to present]
- Speaking at meetings, conferences, panels about exile Tibetan issues. [2002 to present]
- Talking with individuals and small gatherings all over the world about Tibetan issues. [1990 to present]
Lobsang’s productions and events
Lobsang has produced many events, large and small, over the years. A comprehensive list of all his productions will appear soon on this page. See the current ones on his Productions page.
Websites, and web design
All of Lobsang’s productions have their own websites. He designs them all himself, and he has done a few for clients as well. The websites of his current productions are presented on his Productions page.
- Free Spirit Film Festival Brochures
- Miss Himalaya Pageant Brochures
- Miss Tibet Pageant Brochures
Lobsang’s photos of the exile Tibetan world, especially of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, accompany stories by Agence-France Presse and in his own Tibet Sun news portal. His photos also appear in many other news media, however most are uncredited as he is a stringer.
Selections of his photos can be seen in the Week in Photos section of Tibet Sun, and at Getty Images.
Interviews by Lobsang
Writing by Lobsang
- LW articles at TibetSun.com
- When China, An Atheist State, Wants To Decide A Reincarnation SNIWire.com, 28 July 2019
Lobsang in the news
- An election in exile: Making the Tibetan vote count LiveMint.com, 22 April 2019 archived
- To be or not to be: Voting rights for Tibetans in India decoded IndianExpress.com, 15 May 2019 archived
Tibet Sun in the news
Lobsang’s news portal TibetSun.com is cited in news articles and other media. Some of them are linked here.
- Case of mistaken identity TheHimalayanTimes.com, 28 June 2019. Also in print, The Himalayan Times, 28 June 2019. archived
Lobsang in films
- Supporting role in Tibetan Warrior, (Swiss production) 2015
- “Tantric Master” in Umformung, directed by Sudeep Ranjan Sarkar, produced by Nez Moving Pixels, 2014
- Best Actor Award — Indian Cine Film Festival, 2014
- “Love Guru” in Richard Gere is My Hero, 2007
- “Long-haired Sweater Seller” in Dreaming Lhasa, 2004
Lobsang in books
- . . .
Interviews with Lobsang
- . . .
Lobsang on the web
- Lobsang at Wikipedia
- Lobsang at Linda Noble’s blog
Help Lobsang continue
You can read more about Lobsang on his support pages at
Help Lobsang continue his works here.
updated 13 November 2021